There is a certain ethos about hearing loss that leaves many people grappling with only the myths and stigma. We think that hearing loss is rare, only for the old, only for those exposed to big explosions and heavy equipment or it’s a defect that some are born with.
However, the truth about actual hearing loss is a little more surprising and all-encompassing. It impacts people of all ages and backgrounds, men and women. It can be caused by viruses, exposure to loud noises, and a wide variety of other factors. Here are just a few facts about the complexities of hearing loss. if you are suffering you are not alone and it’s time to set up an appointment with OKHC.
- According to the World Health Organization more that 360 million people worldwide have hearing loss.
- 91% of those with hearing loss are adults but 9% are children and teens.
- 20% of Americans have at least some level of hearing loss this includes adults as young as 18.
- More men than women suffer from hearing loss.
- Only 10% of all cases of hearing loss are treated worldwide.
- 90% of deaf children are born to hearing parents
- Untreated hearing loss has been linked to early onset dementia
- Most hearing loss occurs in the work place or at school.
Many cases of hearing losses are also preventable and if they do occur are treatable. Hearing aids, tests, and other treatments are available I a wide variety of options and as the science improves it allows us to customize your treatment plan for your unique life. If you are facing hearing loss, you can avoid many of the frustrations and feelings of isolation that can come with it. Come in and see us and we can work with you to find the right plan.